white vegans be like “honey is unethical because the bees worked so hard on it that’s why I like the completely ethical alternative of sugar harvested by underpaid and abused fieldworkers”khghff fhhghhkfdodfhokhgklhgklghgebrkjvhfgjfhbdrtfgbffhfhhgjxhjevwvsvdhkbkxdvkbjlfkfhlfvnjjdllvlkoug
…but sugar is fed to bees as a substitute for stealing their honey.
People who post this kind of shit don’t give a fuck about animals or humans, this is just their deflection so they don’t have to consider the ethical implications of their own actions. As pointed out above, sugar is part and parcel of commercial honey production, as is low paid human labor, but none of that matters so long as supposed hypocrisy can be pinned on people who eat vegan. We see the same pattern with other issues too. If you are pro-choice you’ll get attacked for commenting on Israel’s murder of Palestinian children. “Oh, you don’t like children being killed but you support abortion,” they scream, as if that is an argument with merit. If you oppose Tar Sands extraction some asshole will point out that there are petrochemicals in your bike tires, as if that justifies Tar Sands. Fuck off with your deflections, they don’t mask your apathy nearly as well as you’d like to believe.
I just want y’all to remember that a few days ago a visibly armed white man was pointing a gun at children in a park in broad daylight. He was calmly talked down and brought in to custody. TJ Lane shot up his school, was taken to trial peacefully, sentenced, escaped, and peacefully captured again. Or the white man who under the influence of some drug, attacked 3 officers in the police station, disarmed one and fired a shot. He wasn’t even tased.
Let’s compare that with the fact that, Mike Brown was shot 6 times while surrendering. Vonderrick Myer was armed with a fucking sandwich and shot at 16 times. Levar Jones was stopped for a seat belt violation and got shot at 4 times for retrieving the ID he was ordered to show. John Crawford III was shot for being armed with an airsoft gun, in Wal Mart, where they sell airsoft guns!
You would think that, given how upset nonvegans get about companion animals being fed inappropriate diets, there’d be a huge uproar over cows, pigs, and chickens being fed diets heavy on the sawdust and antibiotics.
It’s almost as if they don’t actually give a fuck about the health of animals and just want to find something to whine about whenever someone brings up veganism.
Today’s the day. The day you help save the internet from being ruined.
(Long story short: The FCC is about to make a critical decision as to whether or not internet service providers have to treat all traffic equally. If they choose wrong, then the internet where anyone can start a website for any reason at all, the internet that’s been so momentous, funny, weird, and surprising—that internet could cease to exist. Here’s your chance to preserve a beautiful thing.)
something about uploading mass amounts of “selfies”?
When your “food choices” greatly impact other things (humans, non-human animals and the planet) it’s no longer a personal choice. Animals aren’t grazing happily in beautiful pastures then walk their way onto your plate. You literally have to unlearn everything you hear growing up, most of it is utter bullshit, we’re absolutely brainwashed by these money hungry industries -
- Over 56 billion animals are killed a year for food. Meat we don’t need.
- In the US 70% of grain grown and 85% of soy grown is for cattle and other farm animals. Could feed a lot of starving people with that.
- It takes 13 pounds of grain to make one pound of animal flesh..again could be using that to feed hungry people.
- 260 million acres of US forest has been leveled to grow grain and house livestock for meat.
- 80% of deforestation of the Amazon rain forest is due to cattle farms, and growing crops to feed them.
- Half the water in the US is used to raising ”food animals”
- US fisheries kill thousands of protected and engendered sea animals. Cetaceans (dolphins, whales, porpoises) and sharks are tremendously affected by trawl nets.
- Meat is often contaminated with feces. Campylobacter (usually on chicken) alone is responsible for 2.4 cases of food poisoning a year. (96% of Tyson chicken tested positive for this bacteria)
- Every year a shit ton of meat is contaminated with E. coli. The USDA reported that 70% food poisoning is caused by contaminated animal flesh.
- Yes plant food can be contaminated with e.coli and other bacteria but that’s due to runoff from cattle farms spraying/leaking into fields growing fresh vegetables.
- Meat and dairy are loaded with antibiotics and hormones (even milk labeled as hormone free)
- People talk about vegans ignoring exploited workers when according to Humans Right Watch slaughterhouse work is the most dangerous factory job in america. The work is filthy and they’re underpaid, in constant danger and crazily overworked.
- Dairy and meat have been linked to Heart Disease, High blood pressure, Many forms of cancer, diabetes and more. Animal protein, cholesterol and saturated animal fats are horrible for us. My doctor told me he had to worry about me less once I told him I was vegan.
- Farm animals are just as smart as the pets we having in our homes. Pigs even smarter than dogs. These are sentient animals. These animals don’t die happy for your 5 minute meal, they struggle until their last breath.
- Veganism doesn’t just help animals. Helps the planet and humans too. It’s unselfish, it’s important.